Joe Henderson - Our Thing
When Joe Henderson emerged out of nowhere in 1963 and was presented by trumpeter Kenny Dorham, it must have confused many in the jazz world. Henderson sounded nothing like John Coltrane or Sonny Rollins, he could play both hard bop and very free with ease, and he had his own musical vocabulary. While most jazz musicians spend their early years emulating their heroes, Henderson had his own distinctive sound and did not belong to any one style. It is no wonder that Alfred Lion immediately signed him to Blue Note, for Henderson's originality was just what the hard bop world needed. On Our Thing, the great tenor performs his own brand of inside/outside music in a quintet with Dorham and Andrew Hill. His solos are stunning displays of virtuosity and ideas that still sound fresh today. Even over 45 years later, no one sounds like Joe Henderson.
• Remastered from the Original Rudy Van Gelder Blue Note Master Tapes!
• Remastered by Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman at Acoustech
• Cut at 45rpm for Better Sound!
• Pressed on two 180 gram Virgin Vinyl LPs by RTI
• Limited Edition
• Ultra-Durable, Extra Thick Album Jackets
• Gatefold Album with Session Photos in stunning High Resolution
Joe Henderson, tenor saxophone
Kenny Dorham, trumpet
Andrew Hill, piano
Eddie Khan, bass
Pete La Roca, drums